Tuesday, March 9, 2010

To Open, Or Not To Open

To open, or not to open...That is my question.

BBug's 4th birthday is coming up soon and I'm in full planning mode. I've got the date, time, theme and guest list all taken care of. We've even got something very special planned - requested by the birthday girl herself - that I'll share in a separate post. But as I was scouring the web in search of some extra little ideas, I stumbled upon a blog that made me stop and say, "hmmm."

In this blog it says that you should never, ever have the birthday girl (or boy, whatever the case may be) open their gifts during the actual party.

Hold the presses!! Don't open the gifts at the party? What!?! I've never heard of such in all my 28 long years. So, I did a little more research and apparently, that blogger isn't alone in her thinking. I found another site that said it's better to open the gifts later when the child can calmly process what they're receiving. Excuse me, but I personally enjoy watching my children and others not-so-calmly process what they're receiving. I love seeing their excitement.

What about you? Do you let your child open their gifts while their friends are still at the party or do you have them wait until later?

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh please, that's hilarious! I have NEVER heard of such. I think "calmly processing" sounds boring. They are kids! Why can't they just open the gifts and act like kids? That's all I'm saying.

Dawn H. said...

During the party.....

Sher-I said...

During the party..it's all part of the excitment and seeing the joy on their little faces. I've never heard of holding off and calmly processing.

Unknown said...

What?!?!?! No way... Kids are kids- they are going to rip and tear and love it and immediately throw it down and move to the next thing. thats what they do. then they'll "calmly" go back to it and play later! Ha...

Meredith Linley said...

We are NOT openers. Kendall's gifts come home with her or are saved until it is just grandparents aroud. Additionally I always put on the invites I don't want gifts - it never works but I try. My big thing is I don't want Kendall to associate a birthday party with gifts. She struggles with brattiness (I made that word up) anyways so the last thing I need is her going "gift crazy". Also my experience is that small children don't hide their emotions well and she doesn't have much tact when she opens something she isn't thrilled with. Its the thought that counts not whast inside the package. Maybe when she gets older we will revert to opening during a party but her 4 parties thus far - NO opening presents. Just my opinion. :)

Google Analytics