Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Few Updates on BuddyRoe

An update for those of you who are aware of BuddyRoe's tough week - after a very rough day he seems to be doing much better this evening! We are currently hive-free - although that comes and goes - and his cough has eased off a little for now.



For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about I'll give you the Reader's Digest version. BuddyRoe has had a sinus/ear infection issue since mid-August. He'll go on various antibiotics, get rid of the symptoms, finish the medicine, come off of it and be sick again 4-5 days later. According to the dr. his immune system just isn't quite up to par yet, but it should get there one day. Well...Days 4-5 came again this past weekend. Monday we headed to the pediatrician's office and got put back on amoxcillin (this is one in a series of four antibiotics that we've been rotating to try to get rid of this junk). When he took his Tuesday morning dose he ending up breaking out in to hives all over. Turns out, he has developed a penicillin allergy. So since Tuesday morning we've been dealing with ear/sinus infections, a terrible cough, sore throat and hives. He's now on Zithromax (instead of penicillin) and Benadryl for the hives and home for the rest of the week. We're just hoping that he feels up to par on Saturday for his big celebration!

Now, in much happier BuddyRoe news...

This past Saturday he both stood on his own and took a couple of steps for the first time! He probably would have kept walking except I screamed so loud that he immediately sat down and started crying. Now Hubby says he won't walk again until he's 15 because he's scared I'll scream at him!

We've also been a little worried about his talking - or lack thereof. Unlike his sister he's been a very quiet child. He doesn't need to use words, so he doesn't. He'll occaisionally use "mama" and "dada" although it's not necessarily directed at either of us. That's been it though - nothing else...until tonight!

Tonight he said "up" when he was finished eating dinner (that's what I always say when I take him out of the highchair) and then I asked him if he wanted to take a bath and he looked at me and said "a bap." Just to make sure we heard right I asked him again, and sure enough he said "a bap" again! I know that in a few months I'll probably be wondering why I ever wanted him to start talking - I know I've had those moments with his siter - but for now we're so excited!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Poor baby!!! So glad that he is doing better, that looks so ouchy. Hope he is feeling much better for the festivities, Charlotte is so excited to see Charleigh this weekend. :D
Wishing you guys good weather and great fun for the weekend.

Sher-I said...

I can't get over that. It makes my eyes water for him. But he was soo good yesterday and even gave some "snuggle" time. I'm glad to see that he is enjoying his sister's "pi-nano" too!! Do I hear drums for Christmas?!! Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow. Love ya

Carrie said...

That is awful! I hope BuddyRoe is feeling better and had a great birthday on Saturday! I know it was hot, but I'm hoping y'all had a big time. Can't wait to see pictures!

Google Analytics