Friday, April 23, 2010

A Match Made in NASCAR Heaven

Kelly, over at Kelly's Korner is hosting her Show Us Your Life series again and today's theme is How You Met Your Husband.

Well, let's just say hubby and I were a match made in NASCAR Heaven.

The summer of 2003 I was going in to my final year at the University of Florida. A friend of mine called me in July to see if I would be interested in going to the Pepsi 400 (NASCAR race) in Daytona with him.

At the time he was doing his senior internship at a large agricultural operation down in southwest Florida and his boss had 4 tickets to the race. Two of the tickets were being used by the boss and his girlfriend, so that left two for my friend and I. Let me explain that we were strictly friends - he actually had a girlfriend, but she was doing her internship out west somewhere and couldn't make it so I got to go.

The first time I met hubby was when I showed up at the hotel the day before the race. I won't repeat what his first comment was, but let's just say it wasn't the greatest of starts. We all had a good time at the race, but by the time the weekend was over I had a very definite opinion of him - and it wasn't good!

I went back to UF and told one of my friends "I just met THE RUDEST guy ever! I would NEVER date someone like that!"

A couple weeks later he apparently broke up with his girlfriend and a mutual friend gave him my Nextel number. He started calling and we started talking, and he was actually very nice and polite. I was supposed to be in a friend's wedding in August and needed a date to fill out the head table. I knew he was going so I asked if he wanted to meet up and be my "date" to fill the seat. And that was the beginning of our story.

We started dating shortly after that, we got engaged (for the first time) in March of 2004, we broke it off in July of that year (that's a whole other post!), got back together and got married in November. We celebrated five years this past November and I wouldn't have it any other way!

I like to pick at myself and remember when I said, "I would NEVER date someone like that"...no, I just married him!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

loved this! what a neat story to tell your kids & grandkids one day! :)

emily said...

cute story. :)

Carrie said...

What a sweet love story!

Google Analytics