Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Mission...Should I Choose To Accept It

I'm on a mission, two really. And I have to accept them whether I want to or not!

BuddyRoe went to the dentist today for the first time. Well, technically he went once when he fell and busted his teeth, but this was his first non-emergency visit. We went because he's been fussing when we brush his front two top teeth, and we noticed two small holes on the back of them.

Yep, that's right. Baby Boy has his first TWO cavities!! We have to go in and have filings put in both of them. They're going to attempt permanent (or as permanent as they can be on baby teeth) filings, but since he's too young for sedation in their office they may have to settle for a temporary fix. Either way we're looking at several hundred dollars. Y'all these kids are killing me!


The dentist told us the cavities are most likely directly linked to his constant use of a sippy cup. So...mission #1...Operation Sayonara Sippy Cup!

As of today, sippy cups will only be used in the car on trips and for other emergency situations. For example, if he gets sick and needs fluids I'll give him the sippy cup for ease. Otherwise, it's a big boy cup for BuddyRoe. And while we're at it, those big boy cups will be filled with water rather than juice! And this coming from someone who makes their living based on a fruit juice!

The other thing the dentist mentioned is his pacifier. She wasn't overly concerned about it, but did note that they like to see the kids weaned by their second birthday. Since that is rapidly approaching (one month and five days to be exact), we are on mission #2...Operation No More Ma*!

*He calls his pacifier "ma"...please don't ask me why. It's right up there with calling his blanket "gunky." I don't know why he does it, I just know he does!

I've accepted the fact that neither of these missions is going to be fun or easy. Unfortunately, I've allowed my child to become addicted to both the ma and the sippy cup, and now I have to accept the consequences. Whether I want to or not!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh girl. I am dreading the paci breaking. Hope the dentist gets sweet boy fixed up!

Carrie said...

What a mission, Tamara. I am going to start praying for y'all now!! Getting rid of the paci is going to be something else for sure. I am terrified to take Allie to the dentist, but I know we need to...one of these days.

Google Analytics