Monday, September 13, 2010

Operation No More Ma: Update

In my last post I mentioned that we were undertaking "Operation No More Ma" and "Operation Sayonara Sippy Cup" due to BuddyRoe's two, yes two, cavities that we must have filled. 

Well, I wanted to give you an update on Operation No More Ma.  The dentist gave us some advice on how to break BuddyRoe from the ma and we decided to give it a shot.  She said to "cut it back a little each day." 

When she said that, I assumed she meant take it away for an hour the first day, two hours the second and so on.  Oh no...she meant C-U-T, cut it!  Like literally take a pair of scissors and snip a piece off of the end.  After a couple of days she said to snip a little bit more off, and continue that pattern until
eventually he wouldn't like the way it felt anymore
and would give it up. 

I'll be honest, I was more than a little apprehensive about the idea of the screams that were about to begin but I decided to try her method out.  The same day as his appointment I went home and snipped the very tip off of all of his ma's.  Just a tiny sliver at the end.  When I gave it back to Buddy he put it in his mouth, immediately pulled it back out, looked at it, said "ma broke" and handed it to me.  He then went about his business with NO MA!!  He didn't ask for it again that afternoon.  At bedtime he was a little fussy but when I asked if he wanted his ma he said, "No, ma broke." 

I swear, I heard a hallelujiah chorus!!  The dentist told me it would probably take a couple weeks, and I doubted it would work at all, but one night...ONE NIGHT!  It was a miracle!

Now, he did wake up screaming for it three times in the middle of the night.  So, sucker that I am, I gave him the one that I hadn't cut (just in case of emergency).  But before he woke up the next morning we took it out and put one of the "broke" ones in its place.  When he woke up, it was once again "ma broke."  And when he got to daycare he walked in and immediately told his teachers, "ma broke." 

I won't call Operation No More Ma a complete success until I throw the very last (emergency) one away, but I'm more than pleased with the progress made so far!

No comments:

Google Analytics