Monday, January 19, 2009

So Much to Be Thankful For

After what feels like years of non-stop going and doing, I put my foot down this past weekend and told Tim that we were spending the weekend as a family - and only a family. No grandparents, no friends, no traveling or scheduling, nothing but us. As much as I love everyone and all we do, I just needed a break...or so I thought.

My original plan was to essentially do nothing. Spend a couple days lazing around the house, maybe take Charleigh to the local park or for a bike ride, but nothing that required planning or travel. Well...those that know my husband know how unlikely that is to ever happen. The man just can't sit still and relax. So instead I compromised and we loaded up Saturday morning to make the hour's journey to the Highlands Hammock State Park. And I am so glad we did!

We had a picnic, let Charleigh play on the playground and Cagen lay in the sun, we rode bikes (Tim & Charleigh) and walked (Cagen & I) through the park and along one of the trails looking for "birds, snakes and alligators" at Charleigh's request, and most importantly we just spent time as a family. We didn't have to be anywhere else and there was no one else's schedule to work with. It was just us.



Besides the obvious benefits of fresh air, sunshine and exercise this weekend provided me with an opportunity to really recognize so many of the things that I have to be thankful for. I thank God that Cagen is here and healthy enough to enjoy a day at the park, that because of God's grace the only indication of his struggles is the small monitor that we carry with us. I thank God that Charleigh is such a wonderful child, who despite the constant and extra attention that is spent on Cagen, continues to flourish and grow into a beautiful little girl inside and out. I thank God for my husband who can't sit still because he wants to 'go and do' so much with me and our children. I thank God for the beauty that surrounded us in that park - the birds, snakes and alligators as well as all of his other creations. These are just the tip of what I am thankful for and I know that it is all because of Him.



Although a trip to the state park wasn't what I originally had in mind for the weekend, God knew that it was what I needed. It was one of the most wonderful afternoons I've had in a long time, even if I did need a nap afterward!

With my mouth I will give thanks abundantly to the Lord; and in the midst of many I will priase Him. Psalm 109:30

No comments:

Google Analytics