Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hello Spring! Or Not.

Now that the winter weather has passed and spring is on its way we decided to spruce up the outside of the house. My mother-in-law offered to take Charleigh for the weekend so this was our perfect opportunity to say "Hello Spring!"



We had it painted and re-roofed last year so the house itself looks pretty good. The yard on the other hand could use some help, so that's where we started.

At the advice of a friend (who knows what he's doing when it comes to this stuff, unlike me!) we trimmed the gardenias down quite a bit to even them out and let the sunlight get to them better. I'm not even going to lie to you...this step almost killed me! Not because I was doing any hard labor for it, but because hubby took that trimmer and just started hacking away at my poor plants. I thought for sure I was going to have to just rip them out and start from scratch. But once they were all done I had to admit they looked much better. Then with the help of our friend (the one who knows what he's doing) and his wife (who is also an awesome friend, and about as close to Martha Stewart, Betty Crocker and every other cool decorating, baking wonder as they come) we went to the local nursery and picked out our flowers.

I understand that I picked out annuals which means we'll be doing this all over again in the not too distant future, but I REALLY wanted bright colors and this was pretty much my only option for now. Plus I'm cheap...er thrifty...and the annuals were on sale! So we got lots of pretty purple and yellow hybrib pansies, purple pansies and yellow violas, some mulch and some landscape timbers and we were on our way.

Here's our end result!


Pretty good if I do say so myself! What you see in the middle of the yard is a bird bath without the bowl. We had to pressure wash the bowl and I was too impatient to wait for the pictures!

Thanks to the help of our friends we were able to get it all done just in time to catch the weather report on the news where they said we'll be having near freezing temperatures this week. Well, so much for "hello sping." Looks like we may get to do it all over again sooner than we thought!

And just because I think they're too stinkin cute...here's some new pics of the little people in my life! Cagen eating his thumb in his new bumbo and Charleigh eating cereal and watching a movie before school.

No comments:

Google Analytics