Friday, February 20, 2009

10 Minute Room Makeover...A Day Late!

Some of you may have visited the blog A Nesting Place, where 'Nester' has been doing a series entitled '10 Minutes to a Room You'll Love'. As the finale to that series she invited other bloggers to post links to 10 Minute Room makeovers of their own.

Well, I'm a day late but after looking at all the other links yesterday I got a bug in my britches and came home to 'makeover' our master bathroom. Hubby was delighted that it was getting organized and a little terrified at the mess I made in the process, especially since the cleaning lady JUST came and won't be back for a couple weeks!


Here are the before shots...

Yes, it is pretty much always this cluttered, I can't help it. My name is Tamara, I am a clutter freak.

Notice the aspirator (aka the nose sucker), Cagen has been sick so that thing has been my best friend and his worst enemy. Sorry, back to the makeover...


The counter was full of things that I'm no longer using but haven't gotten around to cleaning up and the cabinets (underneath and the medicine cabinet) haven't been gone through in about a year or two. I pulled out the trash cans and went to work. I threw out anything that was past the expiration date (we officially have one bottle of grown up tylenol left, everything else went out), lotions that no longer smelled purty, general trash and makeup that I wouldn't wear these days if you paid me to!

Then I organized it all. Medicines all in the box (the one bottle of tylenol) so that it's one step farther away from the kids (should the child locks on the doors not deter them), hair supplies in an basket, lotions all lined up, kids medicines grouped together for easy access.

And finally I went to work on the counter top. Taking some advice from the Nester I got rid of all the clutter and tried my best for the spa feel. And let's be honest, I think for a spur of the moment $0 cost makeover done with Charleigh's help it turned out pretty good.


The plate is one that my brother and s-i-l gave us for Christmas two years ago. I just rolled up some cream hand towels and threw some rocks on there. I have to ask for a moment of silence now for our dear fish 'Cody' who went to fishy heaven yesterday, thereby allowing me to use the rocks out of his bowl. Rest in Peace Cody, you were a good fish.

Sorry again, back to the makeover...
After the plate, towels and rocks I added our bedside lamp (which I can't turn on at the moment because I dropped and busted the bulb and we're out of them) and a tall candle on the other side of the counter. Finally, I added a glass bowl with some more rocks and a candle on the back of the toilet and called it a day.

We're getting ready to redo the paint throughout the house so shortly the walls will cease to be rose colored and will become a buck skin-esque color (I think). I also plan on putting some 'something' on the walls I just haven't figured out what yet.

I still wouldn't call it a room I love, but it's definitely one I like a lot better than yesterday. Thanks for the inspiration Nester!

And just because I can't help it...Here's a new pic of the babies and me (WARNING: this picture contains no makeup, not suitable for small children!).

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Love your makeover. :) That's exactly what our bathroom cabinets looked like before we moved. Since my husband's new company was paying for movers I got serious about my clutter because someone else was going to be packing it. :) Have a great day.

Google Analytics