Monday, February 9, 2009

Packing Up a House and Saying Goodbye to a Home

This past weekend saw the majority of our family (mom's side) venturing to good ole Flemington to help pack up Grandma's house that's been sold.

We came together to pack up a house and say goodbye to a home.

I can't speak for the rest of the grandkids, but I know that for myself going to Grandma & Grandpa's was always like going home. This house has been the constant 'place' of my child- and young adulthood. I have more memories there than I can begin to count, some amazingly wonderful and a couple not so great.

This is the house that my brother had two of his major accidents at. It's where my fear of anything open and high comes from. And why I have a heart attack everytime Charleigh goes to the playground. Thanks a lot J.!

But it's also the home that I remember always having cookies in the tins on top of the refrigerator. Where we had Halloween parties for all the kids of the church that beat all other Halloween parties (Grandma was an awesome witch with Spanish moss for hair!). Where we had Easter egg hunts and would continue to find the rotten eggs in the back field for a while after. It's where the grandkids rode the golf cart with George the Bassett Hound chasing behind. Where I learned to shoot a gun and respect it's power. Where we all came together for Thanksgiving and Christmas, when we played countless games of things like UNO and Spoons (and watch out, things could get violent when Spoons were being played!).

I could go on all day about the memories there, but mainly it's a home where we always knew we were loved and welcomed.

I'm really going to miss that old house but I'm so glad I'll always have the memories!

I'll post more on the packing up later, including some pictures of the house itself, the family and our greatest finds!

No comments:

Google Analytics