Thursday, September 17, 2009

Good or Great?

In one of my (many) moments of random thought today, I started thinking about which is better - good or great.

Is it better to be good at many things, or great at one thing?

For example, growing up I did a little bit of everything when it came to extracurriculars. I participated in dance, gymnastics, modeling, piano, playing the oboe, horseback riding, soccer (for one VERY bad summer in middle school), cheerleading, baseball (for one VERY bad season when I was six years old), public speaking contests, raising/showing livestock, and more! Like I said, a little bit of it all.

And I was good at most of it (I've already admitted that soccer and baseball definitely weren't my strong suits!).

But would it have been better if I had focused all of my time and energy on just one of those things in hopes of being great at it?

What do you think? Is it better to be good or great?

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I think it's better to be good at a lot of things. Heaven knows I strive for greatness, but don't quite make it. I have so many irons in the fire that I am just trying to pull off good at a lot of different things.

Unknown said...

You have no idea how many times I've thought about this same thing... I am not sure whats better, though... So many times I feel like I try to do so many different things, that i can't do all of them as great as I would want to..and that if I'd just not do some, maybe the ones that I did do, would be great! Who knows... It's especially hard when you want to be great at everything!!! :) If you find the answer let me know!!! ha.. (as far as kids are involved, I think different experiences are what mold and shape us, and as a kid, I did A LOT of different things (t-ball, ballet, piano, clubs, all the stuff you mentioned)...and I think I am better for having done all of it (the things that I was good at and the things I was not so good at (volleyball!) Ha..

Google Analytics